Wednesday, December 9, 2009

OST's at their Prime


Butterflies of excitement flutter around in my stomach when I listen to the Metroid Prime: Corruption soundtrack. There is a unique joy that comes from listening to this soundtrack and as I think about it more, all the Metroid Prime soundtracks do the same thing to me. I am never dissatisfied with these soundtracks.

Metroid Prime put a new age twist onto some of the series staple sounds; thumping drum effects on the original Metroid theme mixing it with strange cackling noises and eerie pitches; the Space Pirate theme with its warped synths to punch its theme home; and of course, the battle with Metroid Prime--powerful rhythms in keeping with the over-spacey aesthetic and long notations.



Metroid Prime: Echoes was a drastic turn on the original direction from Metroid Prime. It reflected the games atmosphere to a tee however and though most people would not consider its ambient tracks music, what it was supposed to do--set the mood--it did with perfection. From the memorable tunes like Torvus Bog which continued the ambient movement of Echoes to the best rehash of the Escape Theme, I believe, Kenji Yamamoto kept true to his style while providing what the game needed.



Then there's the world of Corruption. Yamamoto took what he learned from both of these games and combined them into, what I think is the most complete compilations in the Prime series. A blend of ambient like in Echoes, punchy rhythms like in Prime now became fused with the orchestral aesthetic in Corruption. The Defense Drone track, Bryyo and SkyTown all bring out some of the styles that Yamamoto implemented.

These soundtracks always wake me up when I'm at work. They are so pleasing to my ears! AHH! Good stuff. If you haven't really listened to these soundtracks, and you like video game music, then I would suggest nabbing these somewhere quickly. Your ears will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment